Welcome To The Official Dame Laura Knight Website
Our Aim is
TO – Promote the UK’s greatest female Impressionist artist, Dame Laura Knight and her husband Harold Knight the famous portrait painter.
TO – Be recognised as the authority, providing the most information on the artists’ works and life histories.
TO – Process the Artists Copyright applications.
The multi talented Dame Laura Knight
- She was the 1st woman to be elected a Royal Academician
- Unlike most artists focusing on mainly one subject she became well known for the Ballet, the Theatre, the Circus, Landscapes, Seascapes, Portraits and was the only woman to be given War Commisions for both World Wars.
- She was an official designated war artist at the Nuremberg Trials.
- She is the only artist to have exhibited at the Royal Academy for 67 years continuously with the exceptions of 1918 and 1922.
- She even won an Olympic medal!
1939 Press caricature of Dame Laura Knight, “…she could see a Circus from miles away…”
Dame Laura was famous for her ability to make a quick sketch of movement and for simple doodles.
We need your help!
Do you have any paintings of the artists, that could be added to our website?
Do you have any information to help us compile the Catalogue Raisonné on the artists?
Have you noted any errors on this website about the artists?
The aim of this website is to promote the life and works of the United Kingdoms’ greatest and most famous female impressionist Artist – Dame Laura Knight DBE RA RWS, and also to recognise her husband Harold Knight, the famous 20th Century Portrait painter.
This site provides you with the following:
Laura Knight / Harold Knight Copyright Application Form(s).
This section is aimed towards: – Publishers, Authors, Manufacturers, Advertising and Promotion companies and others, seeking legal consent from the Artists’ Estate, to reproduce images of the artist’s paintings and drawings, for inclusion on or within:
- Books, magazines and other literature.
- Greetings, seasonal and Birthday cards, Calendars, Diaries.
- Packaging/ Boxes/ Cartons/ Record and Disc sleeves.
- Exhibition media to include Backdrops, invitation cards, Banners.
- Advertisement of/about products.
- Merchandise to include prints on plates, mugs and other ceramic items.
- Television and Films.
Note: It may be of interest – 20% of Artist reproduction fees go to Registered Artist Public Charities.
Laura Knight and Harold Knight works:
The website provides possibly the greatest selection representative of the artists’ works, aimed towards:
- Assisting Researchers, Exhibition Curators, Art students and those generally interested in the artists, and
- Those seeking ideas for works for reproduction purposes.
If anyone can complete the blank spaces or provide further details about any of the individual works, please contact us.
Laura Knight/Harold Knight Catalogue Raisonné HELP:
The artist’s great nephew – R. John Croft seeks assistance from anyone who can help in the compilation of a Catalogue of all the works of both Dame Laura Knight and also on her husband Harold Knight.
Such catalogue will be the worldwide recognised authority on the artist’s lives and works. Can you help in providing :
- Images on the works of the artists?
- Correspondence from the artists, of interest about their works or incidents in their lives?
- Photographs of the artists?
- Anything you believe would be of interest in compiling the Catalogue Raisonné?
Laura Knight/ Harold Knight Educational information:
To assist Researchers; Art Students; and those generally interested in the artists.
Bibliographical, dates of artists exhibitions and details of literature available on the artists is provided.
If anyone can add to the information provided, it would be appreciated.